Visit the Bookshop


Thursday, September 18, 2014

Blessed RICHARD HURST, Layman, 1628

STRONGER THAN DEATH

HE wrote before his death three letters to his confessor. The first is as follows : " I received your letter with news of death, at which I am not much dismayed, I thank my Lord and Saviour; the more malicious my enemies the greater my comfort, for I do constantly believe that my religion is the cause of their malice, and my greatest desire is to offer my blood in so good a cause. And although my flesh be timorous and fearful, I yet find great comfort in spirit, in casting myself upon my sweet Saviour with a most fervent love, when I consider what He hath done and suffered for me; and I had rather die a thousand deaths than possess a kingdom and live in mortal sin ; for there is nothing so hateful to me as sin, and that only for the love of my Saviour. I do most constantly believe that He hath afflicted me to save me, and I trust I shall die truly humbled, for the which I desire your good prayers, that I may persevere to the end ; for of myself I can do nothing without His grace." He left behind him six little children, and his wife with child.

" Lord, Thou knowest all things, Thou knowest that I love Thee."—JOHN xxi. 17

No comments:

Popular Posts